The local wild garlic patch is flourishing… Most years we make wild garlic pesto; a simple and effective way of using the herb. (I actually prefer it to the more traditional basil pesto).
Ingredients to fill a 300 g Jar (e.g. a sterilised jam jar)
- 80 g wild garlic leaves
- 50 g parmesan cheese
- 50 g pine nuts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 100 ml olive oil + some more for topping up the jar
1. Wash the wild garlic leaves and dry them carefully (a salad spinner is a great help!)
2. Grate the cheese (We sometimes cheat and buy it already grated)
3. Grind the pine nuts in a food processor and add cheese, salt and pepper
4. Add about 1/2 of the wild garlic leaves and blend
5. Repeat with the remaining leaves
6. Add the olive oil and blend
7. Put in sterilised jar and top up with oil so that the pesto is covered and close lid.